Director Of Development
Historic Hudson Valley seeks an experienced, results-driven, poised candidate with proven leadership and communication skills to direct the day-to-day operation of a four-person development team raising approximately $2 million annually. The Director of Development will lead efforts to achieve annual contributed income goals by stewarding and expanding a diverse, sophisticated donor base. He/she will build upon a successful fund-raising strategy that employs the organization’s growing earned revenue activities, including the Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze, to leverage contributed dollars through memberships, sponsorships, and tourism/economic development grants.
Historic Hudson Valley’s fundraising efforts support educational programs that serve some 15,000 schoolchildren a year, the development of digital products including apps and websites, a research library, and capital and restoration projects at four properties. Programming addresses subject areas including the history of slavery in the colonial North, women’s history, and the impact of Washington Irving’s work on American culture.
Reporting to Historic Hudson Valley’s Senior Vice President, the Director of Development will work side by side with Development staff to identify, cultivate, and solicit individual and institutional donors. Responsibilities include:
- Directing the operation of upper-level donor societies, fundraising dinners, a corporate membership/sponsorship program, and a general membership program centered on the Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze and other seasonal festivals
- Working with inter-departmental teams to develop grant applications for educational, digital, and tourism/economic development projects to institutions including the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Institute of Museum and Library Services, and Empire State Development
- Maintaining and building relationships with current and new donors
- Overseeing prospect research efforts
- Working with committee members and trustees to build relationships and raise funds
- Developing and implementing new fundraising strategies, especially online, digital, and social media efforts
- Drafting and editing letters, reports, proposals, digital copy, and other communications
- Overseeing data conversion to a CRM system, Tessitura, and harnessing its capabilities to help build the membership and donor base.
- Tracking progress toward annual fund-raising goals
Successful candidates will have a Bachelor degree and eight or more years of management experience, especially in the areas of communications, fundraising, or non-profit administration. He/she should be a highly motivated manager with excellent judgment and interpersonal skills. Strong writing, editing, organizational, research, and budgeting skills are essential. The ability to multi-task while addressing details is a must. Evening, holiday, and weekend hours at development and public events are required.
This is a full time, in-office, 12 month position with a benefits package. Send letter of interest, resume, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org, placing “Director of Development” in the subject line.