Explore “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow”
At this family-friendly happening, visitors can tour the first floor of Washington Irving’s house and watch an original shadow puppet short film. A special exhibit highlights how the Legend has lived in the imagination of popular culture through the centuries since its publication.
September 17-November 8
Fridays-Sundays + Columbus Day Entry times between 10am-3:30pm
Advance reservations required. No tickets will be sold on site. Masks are not required while on the grounds, but will be required when entering buildings, such as our shop.
Senior (65+): $10
Student (18-25): $10
Child (3-17): $10
Members: 15% discount off of regular ticket price
Children under 3: FREE
$2.50/ticket surcharge for phone purchase
Tickets are exchangeable to another date/time slot if that date/time has availability, up to 72 hours in advance of your reserved time slot. There is a $2.50 per ticket exchange fee. Please see Historic Hudson Valley’s Ticket Refund and Exchange Policy for more details.
Washington Irving’s Sunnyside
GPS address: 3 W Sunnyside Lane, Irvington, NY 10533
Is photography allowed?
Photography and video recording for personal use are permitted on the grounds. No photography of any kind is permitted inside the house. Audio recording of the tours is also not permitted.
What's your weather policy?
Home of the ‘Legend’ is held rain or shine. If you elect not to attend, your tickets are neither refundable nor exchangeable. In poor weather, ticket holders should consult local weather forecasts for their own area and make their own determination about whether to set out for the evening’s event.
An event may be canceled by Historic Hudson Valley if, in its sole judgment, extreme weather or other conditions could jeopardize the safety of visitors, volunteers, and staff. Generally, rain, snow flurries, or showers would not lead us to cancel, but extremely heavy rain, thunder, and lightning, very strong wind; blizzard conditions, heavy icing, or a prediction of such conditions could force us to do so. If Historic Hudson Valley determines that conditions warrant canceling an event, we will post a message on our website and voicemail and ask local radio stations to make an announcement.
Is the site wheelchair accessible?
Visitor Center and Site Access
- Handicapped parking is available and handicapped restrooms are available in the Visitor Center.
- The walk from the parking lot to the Visitor Center is approximately 379 feet down a graded wheelchair accessible ramp.
- The walk from the Visitor Center to the Cottage is approximately 570 feet on a graded decline, much of which is on a wide pebble path. From the courtyard of the Cottage back to the Visitor’s Center is approximately 380 feet on a graded incline.
Historic Core and Irving’s Cottage
- The grounds and the first floor of the Cottage are wheelchair accessible.
- There is a narrow, steep flight of stairs (12-15 steps) to the second floor of the house and another steep and winding flight of stairs from the second floor to the kitchen.
Are tickets refundable?
Tickets are exchangeable to another date/time slot if that date/time has availability, up to 72 hours in advance of your reserved time slot. There is a $2 per ticket exchange fee. Please see Historic Hudson Valley’s 2020 Ticket Refund and Exchange Policy for more details.
Are service dogs permitted at Sunnyside?
Yes, service dogs are welcome.