A charming, romantic Hudson River landscape
America’s “Founding Father of Literature” created a romantic, picturesque estate nestled along the Hudson riverbank. The enchanted landscape of Washington Irving’s much-loved Sunnyside has been charming guests for generations. Visitors today hear about Washington Irving’s storied past and how he came to be America’s first internationally famous author. His characters, from the Headless Horseman to Rip Van Winkle, are global icons, and Irving’s legacy lives on at his whimsical estate.
In 2019-2020, Sunnyside is celebrating the 200th anniversary of the publication of “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” with a special tour. Join us for an all new “legendary” experience at Washington Irving’s Sunnyside.
May 1 to November 10*
Wednesday – Sunday (plus Memorial Day and Labor Day)
*October weekends is Home of the Legend special event. Tickets go on sale September 3
Sunnyside Visitor Center Hours
|Wednesday||10:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Thursday||10:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Friday||10:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Saturday||9:30 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Sunday||9:30 AM - 5:00 PM|
Special notice for Sunday, August 4: Due to internet outages in the area, all tickets for tours for this date should be purchased online in advance. Buy now.
Senior (65+): $10
Student (18-25): $10
Child (3-17): $6
Members + Children under 3: FREE
Grounds Pass Adult/Senior/Student: $8
Grounds Pass Child: $5
$2/ticket surcharge for onsite and phone purchases
Group Prices (For 10 or more)
Child (3-17): $6
Tours are available at the following times:
Weekdays: 10:30, 11:00, 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, 2:00, 2:30, 3:00, 3:30,
Weekends + Holidays: Every half hour between 10am and 3:30pm
3 W Sunnyside Lane, Irvington, NY 10533
Is photography allowed?
Photography and video recording for personal use are permitted on the grounds. No photography of any kind is permitted inside the house. Audio recording of the tours is also not permitted.
Are the tours wheelchair accessible?
Visitor Center and Site Access
- Handicapped parking is available and handicapped restrooms are available in the Visitor Center.
- The walk from the parking lot to the Visitor Center is approximately 379 feet down a graded wheelchair accessible ramp.
- The walk from the Visitor Center to the Cottage is approximately 570 feet on a graded decline, much of which is on a wide pebble path. From the courtyard of the Cottage back to the Visitor’s Center is approximately 380 feet on a graded incline.
Historic Core and Irving’s Cottage
- The grounds and the first floor of the Cottage are wheelchair accessible.
- There is a narrow, steep flight of stairs (12-15 steps) to the second floor of the house and another steep and winding flight of stairs from the second floor to the kitchen.
Is Sunnyside available for location shoots?
Commercial shoots are rarely permitted. We will consider requests from well-funded productions that would have minimal impact on our visitors, staff, and historic sites. Filming inside our historic homes is never permitted.
We cannot accommodate student or independent films.For more information, contact Karen Clark at email@example.com.
Are service dogs permitted?
Yes, service dogs are welcome.