Explore the romantic riverside cottage and landscape designed by America’s “Founding Father of Literature.”
Nestled along the banks of the Hudson River, the landscape of Washington Irving’s much-loved Sunnyside has been charming guests for generations. Visitors today hear about Washington Irving’s storied past and how he came to be America’s first internationally famous author. His characters, from the Headless Horseman to Rip Van Winkle, are global icons, and Irving’s legacy lives on at his whimsical estate.
Through December 17, 2023
Guided tours Thursdays through November 9 between 10:30am-3:30pm. November 18-December 18, open Saturdays and Sundays between 10:00-3:00pm
Visit Sunnyside Fridays-Sundays in fall for Home of the ‘Legend’
Plan ahead and save! Prices are $2 more for same day admission.
Senior (65+): $12
Young Adult (18-25): $12
Child (3-17): $10
Members + Children under 3: FREE
Tickets are exchangeable to another date/time slot if that date/time has availability, up to 48 hours in advance of your reserved time slot. There is a $2.50 per ticket exchange fee. Please see Historic Hudson Valley’s Ticket Refund and Exchange Policy for more details.
Phone purchases are subject to a surcharge.
3 W Sunnyside Lane, Irvington, NY 10533
Is photography allowed?
Photography and video recording for personal use are permitted on the grounds. No photography of any kind is permitted inside the house. Audio recording of the tours is also not permitted.
Are there group or school tours available?
Group and school tours are unavailable at this time.
Are the tours wheelchair accessible?
Visitor Center and Site Access
- Handicapped parking is available and handicapped restrooms are available in the Visitor Center.
- The walk from the parking lot to the Visitor Center is approximately 379 feet down a graded wheelchair accessible ramp.
- The walk from the Visitor Center to the Cottage is approximately 570 feet on a graded decline, much of which is on a wide pebble path. From the courtyard of the Cottage back to the Visitor’s Center is approximately 380 feet on a graded incline.
Historic Core and Irving’s Cottage
- The grounds and the first floor of the Cottage are wheelchair accessible.
- There is a narrow, steep flight of stairs (12-15 steps) to the second floor of the house and another steep and winding flight of stairs from the second floor to the kitchen.
Is Sunnyside available for location shoots?
Commercial shoots are rarely permitted. We will consider requests from well-funded productions that would have minimal impact on our visitors, staff, and historic sites. Filming inside our historic homes is never permitted.
We cannot accommodate student or independent films.For more information, contact Karen Clark at [email protected].
Are service dogs permitted?
Yes, service dogs are welcome.