A charming, romantic Hudson River landscape
America’s “Founding Father of Literature” created a romantic, picturesque estate nestled along the Hudson riverbank. The enchanted landscape of Washington Irving’s much-loved Sunnyside has been charming guests for generations. Visitors today hear about Washington Irving’s storied past and how he came to be America’s first internationally famous author. His characters, from the Headless Horseman to Rip Van Winkle, are global icons, and Irving’s legacy lives on at his whimsical estate.
For fall, enjoy a spooky outdoor tour on the grounds with a scavenger hunt and special exhibit highlighting The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Learn more at our Home of the ‘Legend’ page.
Closed for the season
Advance reservations required. No tickets will be sold on site.
Senior (65+): $8
Student (18-25): $8
Child (3-17): $8
Members + Children under 3: FREE
The cottage is currently closed for tours. Grounds passes are available at the following times:
Fri-Sun: 10:00, 12:00, 2:00
3 W Sunnyside Lane, Irvington, NY 10533
Is photography allowed?
Photography and video recording for personal use are permitted on the grounds. No photography of any kind is permitted inside the house. Audio recording of the tours is also not permitted.
Are there group or school tours available?
Group and school tours are unavailable at this time.
Are the tours wheelchair accessible?
Visitor Center and Site Access
- Handicapped parking is available and handicapped restrooms are available in the Visitor Center.
- The walk from the parking lot to the Visitor Center is approximately 379 feet down a graded wheelchair accessible ramp.
- The walk from the Visitor Center to the Cottage is approximately 570 feet on a graded decline, much of which is on a wide pebble path. From the courtyard of the Cottage back to the Visitor’s Center is approximately 380 feet on a graded incline.
Historic Core and Irving’s Cottage
- The grounds and the first floor of the Cottage are wheelchair accessible.
- There is a narrow, steep flight of stairs (12-15 steps) to the second floor of the house and another steep and winding flight of stairs from the second floor to the kitchen.
Is Sunnyside available for location shoots?
Commercial shoots are rarely permitted. We will consider requests from well-funded productions that would have minimal impact on our visitors, staff, and historic sites. Filming inside our historic homes is never permitted.
We cannot accommodate student or independent films.For more information, contact Karen Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are service dogs permitted?
Yes, service dogs are welcome.
Related learn more
[fts_instagram instagram_id=1216002531 access_token=1216002531.da06fb6.f4db64ec913c4f7888bc00630b808c0a pics_count=10 type=user profile_wrap=no popup=no super_gallery=yes columns=5 force_columns=no space_between_photos=1px icon_size=65px hide_date_likes_comments=yes loadmore=button loadmore_count=5 loadmore_btn_maxwidth=300px loadmore_btn_margin=10px]